Luke 7:6-15

 And Jesus went with them. When He was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy to have You come under my roof. Therefore I did not presume to come to You. But say the word, and let my servant be healed. For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” - Luke 7:6-8 ESV

Here's someone who understood the type of power Christ possessed, not because he also had the power but because he had a similar type of authority. The centurion need only say something was to be done and it would be. He believes Jesus has that same authority over the illness.

And once more we see humility on display. "Not worthy to have you under my roof."


When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed Him, said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well. - Luke 7:9-10 ESV

There are two times we see Jesus marvel, and for two opposite reasons. Once here at the faith of the centurion and once in Nazareth at their unbelief. Here He heals without being in the presence of the ill, at Nazareth He could do very little because of their lack of faith. Let's strive to have a faith that Jesus can use.


Soon afterward He went to a town called Nain, and His disciples and a great crowd went with Him. As He drew near to the gate of the town, behold, a man who had died was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow, and a considerable crowd from the town was with her. - Luke 7:11-12 ESV

I believe this was planned, Jesus coming as the funeral procession left the city. It wasn't man who planned it but God.

The widow was obviously heartbroken and weeping. Beyond just the financial, physical, and social troubles she would have without her boy there, she was heartbroken because her boy was gone. "My son, my boy", you can almost hear her wail as she goes to bury him. Let's not look past the grief experienced, because even Christians grieve.


And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her and said to her, “Do not weep.” - Luke 7:13

Compassion. Our Lord, Jesus Christ, has compassion for us. He understands our grief. He knows our pains. He sees this widow and is not removed from her. He comes up to her and says, in what I imagine to be a soft, kind voice, "do not weep." Bring your troubles to Jesus. He will wipe away every tear.


Then He came up and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And He said, “Young man, I say to you, arise.” And the dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. - Luke 7:14-15 ESV

I don't think we can comprehend the joy this mother felt. Just moments ago she was grieving her boy who was dead, and now he's alive again. The joy she must have felt goes beyond anything that I believe words can describe.

Jesus is Lord over the living and the dead. When He speaks, the dead hear and answer.

And what's more, He presents the now-living boy to his mother. I want to imagine Jesus was smiling as He watched their reunion. He brought them back together first.

Remember also the Mosaic law. If you touch a dead body, you become unclean. You would then need to go through a process to cleanse yourself. The opposite here is true. Jesus touches, and the uncleanness of death is dispelled from the boy. Remember the holy articles in the Tabernacle; what touched them become holy. What Jesus touches is given newness of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Start